Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals provide world-class treatment services in all branches of pediatric health and diseases, thanks to its experienced staff and advanced technology.
In the Department of Child Health and Diseases, babies are started to be followed from their intrauterine (mother's womb) life before they are born. After birth, babies are followed up with mental-motor development, preventive medicine, nutrition and vaccination process. In addition, a short time after birth, newborn babies are screened for phenylketonuria with heel blood.
What is the Scope of the Department of Child Health and Diseases?
Diagnosis, treatment and follow-up processes of pediatric diseases in infants, children and adolescents are carried out by experienced pediatricians (pediatricians) in Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals Department of Pediatrics.
Definition of General Pediatrics
In general pediatrics, the development of infants, children and adolescents between the ages of 0-18 is examined, and the diagnosis and treatment process of the diseases of these individuals is carried out.
Definition of Social Pediatrics
In social pediatrics, which is a preventive and developing pediatric field, efforts are made to ensure that young people between the ages of 0-18 have a healthy life journey.
Definition of Developmental Pediatrics
In developmental pediatrics, the developmental problems of individuals between the ages of 0-18 are evaluated, and diagnosis and treatment processes are carried out. If needed, these individuals are directed to the relevant sciences in the field of child health.
What is done in Pediatric Surgery?
In the pediatric surgery department, all surgical procedures of children between the ages of 0-16 are dealt with. Trauma surgery, digestive system surgery, diagnostic and interventional endoscopic applications, oncological surgery, laparoscopic and thoracoscopic surgical interventions, pediatric endocrine surgery, trauma surgery, pediatric gynecology and non-cardiac chest diseases and pediatric surgery are included in children in this age range from infancy to adolescence. .
In addition to these, in cases of organ failure in children, small intestine, liver and kidney transplantation is performed by specialist physicians in the Department of Pediatric Surgery.
What does the Department of Pediatric Endocrinology deal with? What is the scope?
In Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, the treatment of growth disorders in growing children and diseases caused by deficient or excessive hormone secretion are performed.
Many comprehensive tests from children's thyroid functions to cortisol excess, from growth hormone measurement to adrenal gland functions, from sugar metabolism and testis function evaluation to sex determination are performed by the Pediatric Endocrinology Department.
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Its Scope
Thanks to modern medicine and advanced technology health equipment, it is possible to understand whether babies have any heart diseases while they are still in the mother's womb.
The examinations performed on children aged 0-16 in Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals Department of Pediatric Cardiology are listed below.
- Fetal echocardiography.
- 12 channel surface ECG.
- Event Recorder: Thanks to this device, which records during arrhythmia, rhythm disorders in the heart are detected.
- Holter monitoring: 24-hour ambulatory ECG for the detection of rhythm disorders (outpatient ECG before hospitalization)
- 2-dimensional doppler and color doppler echocardiography: The vessels feeding the heart, the holes in the heart walls and the structure of the heart are examined with this method. It also provides evaluation of the functions of the heart and heart valves.
- Tilt-table test: It is used to investigate the cause of the fainting problem seen in pediatric patients.
- Interventional Cardiology: With this method, some heart diseases that require surgery are corrected with a cardiac catheter and treated without the need for surgery.
Cardiac catheterization (angiography).
Scope of the Department of Child Mental Health and Diseases
In Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals Department of Child Psychiatry and Diseases, where children's mental behaviors and development are evaluated, parents are supported to explore their children's inner world. Raising children as happy individuals is one of the biggest goals of this department.
Services provided in the Department of Child Mental Health and Diseases:
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Psychological and mental evaluation of children
- Educational consultancy for schools
- Preventive mental health service for the community
Problems arising from hyperactivity, attention disorder and learning difficulties are identified and children are treated with the right methods.
Diagnosis and treatment processes of the most common febrile and non-febrile convulsions, learning disabilities, epilepsy, developmental delay, attention deficit, behavioral disorders, muscle and nerve diseases, hyperactivity, mental retardation and multiple congenital anomalies in children are carried out by the Department of Pediatric Neurology. .
Investigations performed in the Department of Pediatric Neurology:
- Muscle Biopsy
- Video ECG
- Intelligence Tests
- Cytogenetic and molecular tests
Services Provided in the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology
Both modern and classical diagnostic methods are applied in Maltepe University Medical Hospitals of Medicine Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology. Methods such as rectoscopy, esophagoscopy, colonoscopy and gastroscopy are used when needed.
- Not gaining weight
- Abdominal swelling
- Difficulty in eating and swallowing
- The cessation or regression of height growth
- Enlargement of the liver and spleen
- Poop and urinary incontinence
- Stomach ache
- Frequent, watery or bloody poop
- Difficult defecation
- Treatment of diseases such as stomach bleeding is carried out in the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology.
What Does the Department of Pediatric Nephrology Cover?
In the Department of Pediatric Nephrology, urinary tract and kidney diseases in babies and children are examined and treated.
Within the scope of the Department of Pediatric Nephrology;
- Kidney failures
- Kidney and urinary tract stones
- Various congenital or acquired infections
- Diseases such as familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) are dealt with.
Child Infection Department Definition and Scope
Thanks to its advanced technology health equipment, Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals, which diagnose quickly and accurately, offer treatment to a wide range of diseases in the Department of Pediatric Infection.
- Tuberculosis and lower respiratory tract infections
- HIV virus
- Hospital infections
- Febrile and infectious diseases
- Childhood rash diseases
- Congenital infections
- Infectious hepatitis
- Viral infections
- Central nervous system infections
- In this section, various infections seen in treatment-induced or congenitally immunocompromised children are examined using all the possibilities of modern medicine.
Services Provided in the Department of Pediatric Oncology
When we look at the causes of child deaths, it is seen that cancer is in the second place. Unfortunately, an average of 3 thousand children are diagnosed with cancer every year in our country. The majority of deaths are due to late diagnoses.
Maltepe University Faculty of Medicine Hospitals' full-fledged Pediatric Oncology Department has all the necessary infrastructure and experienced specialists in the field to combat childhood cancers.
What Does Pediatric Urology Do?
The Department of Pediatric Urology deals with ureter, urethra, kidney and bladder diseases of boys and girls from all age groups. Thanks to specialist physicians and modern surgery, treatments can be carried out successfully.